Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spring Training

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."


The scene - Chain of Lakes Stadium, Winterhaven, Fla. The occasion - Grapefruit League Baseball. The combatants - the mighty Cleveland Indians and the mighty Atlanta Braves. Two fans, Ray and Roni at their first pro baseball game.

Both managers were very liberal in their substitutions, each pitcher getting three innings, regardless of his effectiveness. The remainder of the players got 4 or 5 innings in before giving way to someone else.

Well, the Indians' bats didn't get working until the 9th inning, but it was too little, too late by then. Final score: Atlanta 5, Cleveland 1.

For Ray and Roni, it was a pleasant two and a half hours in the gentle sunshine, two Buds in plastic bottles, some peanuts and Cracker Jack, and a great way to spend an afternoon.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Almost as good as the Sandy Beach Tourney I'm sure!