Friday, April 3, 2009

No Barriers On Great Reef Experience

Yesterday we stroked a couple of items off the bucket list.

Seastar Reef Cruises took Roni and I from Cairns to Michalmas Cay and Hastings Reef on the outer Great Barrier Reef. The fast catamaran took about one hour to make the trip. Before we even had the anchor down, a green sea turtle cruised by. The 20 or so guests on board donned snorkeling gear and dove right in.

I think this might be Nemo, the clown fish....

Now, Roni and I have snorkeled in some lovely places, but none could remotely compare to this. It was amazing! Something to lie awake at night and recall with wonder. Every few feet brought a new variety of coral or a new type of fish. Reds, greens, yellows, blues, whites, oranges and so on through the spectrum. All sizes and shapes. It's an unfair assault on the senses. No wonder it's a world heritage site.

The water was warm, around 28C, the surface was calm, winds were light, skies clear – idyllic. Visibility underwater was maybe 100 feet or more. Probably more. We were so lucky to experience this. Wow!

The second item on the list was that I got to try SCUBA diving! Yes, even an old goat like me can still float well enough to try new things. I hope Ted and Colleen are proud of me.

In we go!

....and out again!

A lot of my energies and attentions were taken up in clearing my mask, and trying to maintain proper buoyancy, but in between those challenges, I got to touch a giant clam and swim through schools of fish and someone's bubbles. With practice, one would surely be able to spend more time on the experience, and less on the process.

No comments: