Sunday, April 6, 2008

Memories of Sanibel Island

Just off the Gulf coast of Florida, near Ft. Meyers, is the lovely low-lying key of Sanibel. Half of it is a wildlife sanctuary mostly comprised of mangroves and tidal flats - a bird and fish magnet. We took a four mile driving tour and saw lots of the expected water birds and fish species.

After this tour, and in the 29C heat, we were ready to sample one of the several gulf beaches of Sanibel. This state seems to have an unlimited supply of superb beaches. This one had the usual fine sand but with lots of finely crumbled shells mixed in. Lots of shells under the waves too, but mostly firm clean sand.

After my swim I showered off and was waiting in the sun by a picnic table to dry off a bit before changing as I had not brought along a towel. It's been about six weeks since my last haircut, so I was fluffing it out in the sun to dry a bit quicker, half bending over when I heard a rustling of nearby dry leaves. Simultaneously, out of the corner of my eye, I saw this quick movement. Out of these leaves about two meters away a snake darted out and became entangled in my legs! Suddenly I was back-pedaling like mad, giving off primitive animal-like noises, flailing my arms and kicking out my legs like a crazy man possessed! Have you ever had your heart-rate go from 70 to 150 in two seconds flat? I nearly landed on my back, but just caught my balance in time. The whole episode only lasted maybe three or four seconds, but in that time I did see that it was a small black snake, maybe a meter or so long, but only about as thick as my little finger. Judging my my reaction, it seemed to be 5 meters long and as thick as my arm! Whoa, I haven't been that startled since Milt Stegall caught his famous touchdown! Somehow I managed to kick it off my leg. Where it ended up, I have no idea. Probably in the top of one of the nearby palm trees if the enthusiasm of my kicks are any indication!

A fellow nearby was looking at me as if I was about to turn into a demon. I said "It was a black snake - are they harmless?" He said "Yes, if they are black, they are". I said "Good. It scared the hell out of me!" He said, supressing a smile, "I thought it might have been a bee after you". I said, "I don't suppose you got a video of that, did you? That would have been pretty funny". "No, sorry" he said. And I definitely sensed that he was truly sorry that he hadn't. Me too.

Anyway, along comes Roni just about then, to catch the last of the conversation. "What's this about a snake?" she says. I wasn't going to tell her about this experience as my reaction to snakes would have seemed like an afternoon nap compared to hers. But, after explaining, even she could see the humour of what just happened.

Sanibel Island - you will remain in my memory forever.


3 comments:

Snowflake said...

Fear of snakes must run in the family. Doug was digging in a pile of old tree roots, rocks and tall grass for my lost golf ball the other day and I thought about yelling "snake!" but after a second or two changed my mind. I decided I really didn't want to drive the truck home hauling the 5th wheel after he had a heart attack.

Meg said...

I did not like this story.

(Megan lifts feet off ground for fear of snake "DARTING" out from under the couch)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just returned from Sanibel and had my own experience with a snake. Since having become a pack mule with the birth of my last child, I was loaded down with pool gear when I tripped over it on the way to the pool. I had no clue what it was and just kept walking until I heard my sister's peels of laughter. Do you know what you just stepped on? I turned to look. I had indeed startled a black (gray) snake. It's head and tail were up looking for it's victim. I just turned and walked (hurriedly) away.