Thursday, January 11, 2007

That thing on the roof...

We seem to have survived the blizzard of the past couple of days without too much harm. Luckily we have a guardian angel living in the house down the street. Yesterday morning, after the driveway and sidewalk had drifted in with foot-deep snowdrifts, I heard the sweet sound of a snow-blower. Yes! It was in OUR driveway! Thank god for Ernie and his snow-blower. I must take him a tin of popcorn balls!
Another sound I heard was the grinding and rattling of that whirlybird thing on the roof that is supposed to keep your attic cool in summers. Apparently the bearings on the wind-driven rotating shaft don't last forever and now someone must get up on the roof to change the little sucker. I'm thinking that with six inches of snow on the roof and a temperature of -26C out today, that tomorrow (or maybe next week) must be a better time to do that. I'm also looking for some advice as to how I might convince my sweet baboo (aka Roni) to get up there and change that ventilator.

2 comments:

Senor Ping said...

The bearings are fine. I think the "Whirlyjig" is "out-of-round" (like tires from CdnTire). You just need to get some courage, climb up on the roof, and hug the jig back to round.

Or else put a new one up. But you will need to wait until spring to do that.

I took the tires back... they are difficult to "hug back to round"

db

Meg said...

I'd throw rocks at it until it stops making the weird noises.

My dad is all about the hugs. Hugs solve all the world's problems. Bet you didn't know that about him, did you?